Author Topic: Radar Suggestions  (Read 207 times)

tbglynn

Re: Radar Suggestions
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 10:21:55 PM »
We have Garmin HD gimbal mounted on the mast.  Real happy with it.  We have Garmin MFDs at the nav station and on deck.  Consider putting the on decks MFD on one side of the companionway hatch under the dodger.  People put them at the helm, but we are cruisers.  Nobody stands back there even on a moderate coastal passage.  Itís real nice to lounge in the cockpit and be able to see your chart plotter, radar and AIS all at once. 

Btw, our Garmin MFDs are pushbutton, not touch screen.  Donít know if theyíre still available, but I think touchscreen is dumb on a boat where your fingers are always wet, frequently dirty and sometimes you wear gloves.

Tim Glynn
Egraine

Sailsteady

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 04:37:55 PM »
I'm in the middle of a similar effort aboard Nepenthe, my 1997 H46.  A few notes from my research which may, or may not help:

1.  Furuno has indeed offered the world's first WiFi data Radar system which is a nice step in the right direction.  Of course you still need to run a power cable to the unit.  Almost all of the radar units being offered today are solid state, so just like a laptop, solid state gets you very quick boot up and very low power consumption.  The issues with the Furono WiFi model are that it is a mid-tier model and not their better one.  Like all manufacturers today, their radar units only synch to their proprietary MFD.  The WiFi model they offer can ONLY be synched to a tablet like an iPAD.  And while you can download some mapping apps to overlay the radar onto, you won't be able to view the radar and AIS data at the same time with your Vesper unit.  More on that shortly.  You'll have to go back and forth between AIS and Nav/Radar apps.  So unfortunately, an upgrade in radar is now accompanied by an upgrade in MFD if you truly want integrated data and the better radar unit from Furuno, or ANY radar unit from ANY other manufacturer.

2.  With regards to the Vesper 8000 series, and probably their splitter as well, this is a fantastic unit and one that I am planning on adding to my boat in the coming weeks.  The 8000 unit is fully WiFi but it sends its AIS data to the MFD via the NMEA 2000 network.  It can send the exact same data to a stand-alone tablet using their app to read it.  This is nice because the Vesper also has GPS on-board plus an included external GPS receiver if you want to use it.  Both are very good.  What this offers you then is a redundant system to your primary MFD by having:  GPS and AIS data completely separate from your MFD in case of a total failure of the MFD.  As mentioned, all of the Vesper-produced AIS and GPS data is shared to an independent tablet and/or to your MFD via the NMEA2000 network backbone.  Pretty slick piece of kit I believe!

Hope this helps!  All the best.

Dan Kral
s/v Nepenthe
Currently in Oriental, NC

Ambition

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 03:13:46 PM »
On Ambition, we upgraded in 2015 to an entire suite of Garmin products including the HD radar. I only have very positive things to say of the Garmin product and their after sales service. They are awesome.
Merrill and Maryse
S/V Ambition H46 #40

Moonlight

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 02:45:28 PM »
We replaced all our electronics a couple of years ago, including radar, with B&G.  We got the 4G radar and have been very happy with it. 

BlackDiamond

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 06:59:01 PM »
Integration is key.    Radar itself has tremendous value, but when you combine it with AIS or chartplotting its even more powerful.   Make sure they can demo the integration between FURUNO, VESPER and other devices you have now or might have going forward.   Radar overlays on charts,  AIS tracking on charts with radar confirmation, etc..etc..   Personally,  I like radar features like MARPA, timed transmits, and guard zones.  You need to look at the functionality on some brands, decide what you care about, and do the compares.

Wireless sounds attractive, but I often wonder if its both reliable enough in bad weather (say lightning storms) and a power hog.   It certainly simplifies the installation.  If you had an analog radar, like a RAYMARINE E80 or E120, then you need to pull all new wire capable of digital / broadband radar.    If you have an existing digital radar, but its getting long in the tooth,  you might be able to upgrade the radar, using the same cables, more than likely from the same manufacturer.   

FWIW

NordicSunII

Radar Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 03:27:06 AM »
I'm planning on upgrading my Radar.  What might be a good Radar option these days.  I will be putting on a mast in the back of my Hylas 44.  Which ones should I consider.  I'm considering a Furuno DRS4W, since it has a wireless display, and the price doesn't break the bank.   Are there other wireless options that might be better?  Plan eventually to go offshore, would one model be better for that than other?  Also planning to install a Vesper 8000 AIS unit as well.

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below