Author Topic: Water maker installation on My 46' Hylas  (Read 645 times)

Anthem

Re: Water maker installation on My 46' Hylas
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2018, 12:10:32 PM »
We have a Spectra 380c mounted underneath aft cabin hanging locker.  Takes up little space that would be useful for other purposes.

burtpreston

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 03:04:39 AM »
On our Hylas 44 we installed a Spectra Cape Horn WM under the port settee. We removed the aft water tank, which was less necessary with the new WM and put the components in that space. By cutting strategic holes in the plywood top to the settee we could easily access the WM controls by just removing one settee cushion.

Burt Preston
H44 - 83 Exuberant

Panama Red

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 02:37:56 PM »
We installed a 12v Spectra watermarked on our H44 Exuberant eight years ago and have found it to work very well. We get about 9 gob and most importantly it only uses 1 amp/he per gallon. Most other units use 2 to 3 times that much power. We can often produce water at anchor in the Bahamas with just solar.

Burt

On the H44, where did you install the watermaker?

Thanks

Bob
S/VSugarbear H44

snailor

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 03:55:08 AM »
Hi,

Our H-46 Santosha came with a Spectra Catalina 300 MkII watermaker (13 gph) which has worked flawlessly for the three years we've owned the boat.  I've only pickled it once but the rest of the time its been in operation.  It is very automated and back-flushes itself with freshwater from the main tank every five days.  All I do is change the pre-filter when the panel tells me its time.  That takes about five minutes and its up and running again. We change the carbon backflush filter every six month per the manufacturer's instructions.

The unit is mounted under the centerline queen in the aft cabin - starboard side.  It takes up a fair amount of space but we love not worrying about having high quality water everywhere we go.  We mainly run it when we're under power or with the generator running but the draw isn't too horrific so you could run it at anchor if you have robust solar and wind charging.

Only downside is its a little noisy so we pick our times to make water - again meshing production with engine time or generator time solves that problem

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Eric Powers
S/V Santosha H-46 #34

dannye

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 12:58:50 AM »
Hi John, I am seriously considering to buy a EcoSistems watermaker, compact 65/litros hour = 14 Gallons,  12 Volts , it is a company based in Barcelona-Spain,
 I make contact with many boat owners that are using their w/makers. The reviews are Very Good, the installation is very easy and the filters are cheap and easy to find.
The model that i like the most is the Water Pro compact 60, I got an estimate  today from the w/makers for 7.283.16
https://eco-sistems.com/en/product/water-pro-compact-s-60/

Thanks for your comments.

Danny Escobar
"Grand Cru 2"

John H

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 02:44:01 PM »
If your considering a manual RO system you might consider Sun Pure, very reasonably priced compared to other brands.

http://sunpurewatermakers.com/

John

brian black

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 12:38:50 AM »
when we bought our H46, she already had installed a Spectra 200T with MPC controls.  I changed the installation to make it more compact, to save storage space, etc.  But still be maintainable.  The module with the membrane and clark pump went on the starboard side in the foward cabin, under the little desk.  useless space for storage, but the watermaker fit!  Also put the shurflo pump and accumulator in here.  the prefilters are at the back of the small locker, under the liquor cabinet.  Water intake and raw water screen under the forward cabin floor.  MPC control box under the starboard side salon bench, far forward.  I agree about getting a manual one,  simple is better, for remote areas.  I'm in the process of trying to convert ours to  be manual. 

burtpreston

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 03:48:09 AM »
The manual Spectra system is significantly lower in cost, but my understanding is that the automatic parts have reliability problems. We pickle our system twice a year as we move into poor water. It isn't difficult, nor is the maintenance when the system is running. The operating instructions are easily understood.

Burt Preston
H44 - 83
Exuberant

dannye

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 12:15:48 AM »
Hi Burton, thanks so much for your comments, wonder why do you recommend the manual system/ it is probably cheaper - a good thing. But , can you be more specific,
we are leaving the boat docked or in boat yards in europe for at least 6 months every year.
will like to go with a system that has the easiest maintenance.
Thanks again.

Danny Escobar
"Grand Cru 2"

burtpreston

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 04:23:58 PM »
We installed a 12v Spectra watermarked on our H44 Exuberant eight years ago and have found it to work very well. We get about 9 gob and most importantly it only uses 1 amp/he per gallon. Most other units use 2 to 3 times that much power. We can often produce water at anchor in the Bahamas with just solar.

That leads to the first question when deciding on a watermaker, 12v or 110v? With the latter usage will require a generator or dock inverter(?) With a 12v system power can easily come from batteries, wind, solar, alternator (underway) or battery charger. So, you need to analyze how you will use the WM.

If you do go with a Spectra, I would get the manual system rather than the automatic system, it is not hard to use and the reliability is much better.

Burt Preston
H44 - 83. Exuberant

dannye

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 09:59:56 PM »
Hi Martin, Thanks for the response, of course I will take a look of the water maker once your boat is back at playboy marine center.
See you then.

Danny
Grand Cu 2

dannye

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 09:51:01 PM »
Hello Merrill and Maryse, Thanks so much for the information and pictures, It help me a lot, Now I need to start looking for prices   :-\ We are planning to stay in FLL
 in October, in November we are going to the mountains of NC and coming back to FLL in November , Will love to take a look of the installation. Call me please  at my cel. 954-815-1641 and let me know once you are in town.

Ambition

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 11:15:36 PM »
Danny,
We installed a 12V Spectra 200T 8 gallons per hour watermaker on Ambition and after 1 winter season can confirm that we are very happy with the performance. Here is how ours is installed:
1. We repurposed the water intake from the salt water foot pump (which we never used) as the intake for the raw water for the watermaker.
2. The primary filter, carbon filter,  the pump and the control panel are located under the centre section of the sofa around the table.
3. The accumulator tank and the pressure / flow gauge is under the sofa right next to the mast.
4. The Clark pump and the membrane is located under the floor boards (the first one in the forward cabin - it just fit in perfectly.
5 The waste brine is piped and discharged into the sink drain in the forward head.
6. The product water is plumbed back through the bilge and under the galley sink where I located the valve for test water VS good water.
7. The test water is connected to the unused Salt Water tap in the sink.
8. The good product water is plumbed to the after water tank under the aft berth.

Cheers
Merrill and Maryse
S/V Ambition H46 #40

Hobiehobie

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 09:27:18 PM »
Danny.  Hi its Martin here from Genevieve H54#50.  Genevieve soon to be back at Playboy for Danny Jnr to work on!   We have an 35 gal per hour AC Cruise RO water maker.   It is installed under the forward bunk.  The service and help from Rich at Cruise RO was fantastic when we installed and all the components are modular and easily commercially available.  If you are back in FLL October to Jan happy to show you the set up!  Or I can send pics of the installation.

Martin

dannye

Water maker installation on My 46' Hylas
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 11:36:11 PM »
I own Grand Cru 2 - 1996 46' Hylas, she is docked at Valencia- Spain right now, and after spending the summer sailing the Baleares islands We found out that our life onboard will be a a lot better if we have a water maker.
Wondering if somebody can tell me where is the desalinator installed on the boat, how many gallons/hour it makes and some comments about brands, pro n cons.
We will really appreciate you comments.
Danny Escobar
s/v Grand Cru 2

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below