Author Topic: Water maker installation on My 46' Hylas  (Read 1263 times)

Anthem

Re: Water maker installation on My 46' Hylas
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 05:33:57 PM »
Dan,

Pretty easy access, but hanging clothes and upper shelf need to be removed.  Thru-hull is also used for AC cooling and galley sink salt water foot pump.  Probably better to have single source for water maker as we sometimes get air into system, probably from other connections.

Had to cut out water tank under bunk for rusted and leaking seams, 304.  Replaced with two stainless tanks, 316, to allow installation through overhead hatch.  Port tank is directly fed from Spectra, starboard tank is fed from deck port.  Installed a large connection pipe with valve on forward lower point of tanks that is located under locker on forward end of bunk.  All bilge tanks are used for diesel.

Good luck,

Jack

Sailsteady

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 03:09:00 PM »
Jack,

This is fantastic and very helpful, thank you for sharing!  Great use of that space and it appears as if you have good access to service the water maker as needed?

Did you add a new thru hull or plumb into one of the existing holes?  From that location, did you connect into the water manifold next to the nav station, or directly into one of the tanks like the rear tank?

Thanks again, really appreciate the pics!

Dan
s/v Nepenthe

Anthem

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 08:55:43 AM »
Hi Dan,

Sorry it took so long to reply.  Had the water maker off to replace starboard cockpit drain thru-hull and valve (routing still not complete).  Here are a few pictures of the Spectra 380c installation in aft hanging locker on our H46.  Intake thru-hull is aft of engine on starboard side (behind aft doors in galley).  Accumulator is below vertical membrane vessel.

Sailsteady

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2019, 04:04:26 PM »
Anthem,

Any chance you have some pics of the Spectra install underneath the hanging locker?  Would love to see how you have that in there.  Thanks in advance.  You can email them here:  dankral@yahoo.com

Dan
s/v Nepenthe
1997 H46

snailor

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2018, 02:21:25 PM »
Andy,

Sorry to hear about your water tank troubles.  When we bought our H-46 in 2015 the starboard fuel tank leaked diesel from the seams.  Though the leak was small, it was a smelly nuisance that required constant management. When Queen Long told me the only way to remove the tank from beneath the cabin sole was with a Sawzall I reverted to Plan B. To improve access to the entire tank interior, I cut a new hatch in the cabin sole forward of the baffle, installed a new access plate in the top of the tank, opened the existing plate aft and thoroughly cleaned/degreased the entire tank.  Surprisingly, the 304-Stainless steel inside was shiny and perfect with no visible signs of corrosion, so it cleaned up nicely.  Then, with the help of a small video camera, bright light and mirror sealed every seam from the inside with two-part JB Weld epoxy.  This material is fairly thick so it hangs on the vertical surfaces and even upside down surfaces pretty well.  When I was done, I blew warm air through the tank to help it cure. The whole thing took me most of a day, including pumping the remaining fuel out.  The cost, including the new inspection plate from Seabuilt (wee.seabuilt.com) and epoxy was around $250.

We've sailed the boat pretty hard in the three years since with no sign of a leak.  I was never able to actually identify exactly where the leak was but it was clearly in one of the welded corner seams - I think near the inside bottom aft corner. Although these tanks are well-made from very thick steel (sawing through it took a while), it probably doesn't take much of a flaw in the welds to eventually induce a tiny crack or pinhole.  Add to that the stresses imposed on the rigid tank structure as the boat works in a seaway and its surprising more of them don't leak. In any case, I thought I'd throw this out there in the event any of your other tanks develop a leak or other owners run into this problem.

Best Regards,
Eric
H-46 034 Santosha

Knoxan

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2018, 10:41:00 AM »
We have Cathelco H2O series (20 gal/hr) components distributed around our H46.
 Have to admit that over our 11 years of owneship it has never been used so no idea if it is any good, although the previous owner did use it. However, as as installation it is unobtrusive.

The priming and HP pumps are located on the shelf aft of the engine alongside with the generator. The primary filters are suspended below the shelf. The RO units and associated valves etc are under the aft cabin berth alongside the main fresh water tank, refrigeration compressors, and engine compartment blower on the stb side. Lots of space. The control panel is mounted on the face of the seat at the stb side of the berth.

I had the unit pickled when we bought the boat but have never had to recommission it as fresh water is readily available throughout my cruising ground (west of Scotland and Ireland) and I understand that if brought back into service after that length of time I will probably have to replace the RO Units as a minimum.

As an associated issue, I had to replace the main water tank last year due to the seams leaking, Cut it out in pieces small enough to get out and replaced it with two half sized custom made plastic tanks which just fitted through the deck hatch. The water maker outputs to one tank only so that if the water is bad for some reason I don't contaminate the other.

Andy
H46#32 True Brew

Anthem

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2018, 12:10:32 PM »
We have a Spectra 380c mounted underneath aft cabin hanging locker.  Takes up little space that would be useful for other purposes.

burtpreston

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 03:04:39 AM »
On our Hylas 44 we installed a Spectra Cape Horn WM under the port settee. We removed the aft water tank, which was less necessary with the new WM and put the components in that space. By cutting strategic holes in the plywood top to the settee we could easily access the WM controls by just removing one settee cushion.

Burt Preston
H44 - 83 Exuberant

Panama Red

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 02:37:56 PM »
We installed a 12v Spectra watermarked on our H44 Exuberant eight years ago and have found it to work very well. We get about 9 gob and most importantly it only uses 1 amp/he per gallon. Most other units use 2 to 3 times that much power. We can often produce water at anchor in the Bahamas with just solar.

Burt

On the H44, where did you install the watermaker?

Thanks

Bob
S/VSugarbear H44

snailor

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 03:55:08 AM »
Hi,

Our H-46 Santosha came with a Spectra Catalina 300 MkII watermaker (13 gph) which has worked flawlessly for the three years we've owned the boat.  I've only pickled it once but the rest of the time its been in operation.  It is very automated and back-flushes itself with freshwater from the main tank every five days.  All I do is change the pre-filter when the panel tells me its time.  That takes about five minutes and its up and running again. We change the carbon backflush filter every six month per the manufacturer's instructions.

The unit is mounted under the centerline queen in the aft cabin - starboard side.  It takes up a fair amount of space but we love not worrying about having high quality water everywhere we go.  We mainly run it when we're under power or with the generator running but the draw isn't too horrific so you could run it at anchor if you have robust solar and wind charging.

Only downside is its a little noisy so we pick our times to make water - again meshing production with engine time or generator time solves that problem

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Eric Powers
S/V Santosha H-46 #34

dannye

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 12:58:50 AM »
Hi John, I am seriously considering to buy a EcoSistems watermaker, compact 65/litros hour = 14 Gallons,  12 Volts , it is a company based in Barcelona-Spain,
 I make contact with many boat owners that are using their w/makers. The reviews are Very Good, the installation is very easy and the filters are cheap and easy to find.
The model that i like the most is the Water Pro compact 60, I got an estimate  today from the w/makers for 7.283.16
https://eco-sistems.com/en/product/water-pro-compact-s-60/

Thanks for your comments.

Danny Escobar
"Grand Cru 2"

John H

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 02:44:01 PM »
If your considering a manual RO system you might consider Sun Pure, very reasonably priced compared to other brands.

http://sunpurewatermakers.com/

John

brian black

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 12:38:50 AM »
when we bought our H46, she already had installed a Spectra 200T with MPC controls.  I changed the installation to make it more compact, to save storage space, etc.  But still be maintainable.  The module with the membrane and clark pump went on the starboard side in the foward cabin, under the little desk.  useless space for storage, but the watermaker fit!  Also put the shurflo pump and accumulator in here.  the prefilters are at the back of the small locker, under the liquor cabinet.  Water intake and raw water screen under the forward cabin floor.  MPC control box under the starboard side salon bench, far forward.  I agree about getting a manual one,  simple is better, for remote areas.  I'm in the process of trying to convert ours to  be manual. 

Conversion to manual now done, successful.  Still troubleshooting the fresh water "flush", I tried to keep the electric solenoid valve.  Probably now stuck.  Added a second gauge to monitor prefilter condition.  These photos show the install.  The main module is mounted to a board for removal, when needed, one photo shows it removed and on the floor. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 08:48:36 PM by brian black »

burtpreston

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 03:48:09 AM »
The manual Spectra system is significantly lower in cost, but my understanding is that the automatic parts have reliability problems. We pickle our system twice a year as we move into poor water. It isn't difficult, nor is the maintenance when the system is running. The operating instructions are easily understood.

Burt Preston
H44 - 83
Exuberant

dannye

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 12:15:48 AM »
Hi Burton, thanks so much for your comments, wonder why do you recommend the manual system/ it is probably cheaper - a good thing. But , can you be more specific,
we are leaving the boat docked or in boat yards in europe for at least 6 months every year.
will like to go with a system that has the easiest maintenance.
Thanks again.

Danny Escobar
"Grand Cru 2"

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below