Author Topic: Portlites, reglazing?  (Read 466 times)

brian black

Re: Portlites, reglazing?
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 03:42:42 AM »
I'm talking about the portlites in the sides of the cabin house, with glass glazing, not the overhead operable hatches with plastic glazing. 

Ambition

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 02:42:15 PM »
On board Ambition we had three hatches that developed leaks and sever grazing simply due to too many hours in the sun. I contracted with one boat yard to replace the glass and re-caulk into the Manship hatches. We did the work one at a time sealing the hole with plywood while in the hatch was in the shop. The progress was slow however the results were horrible. The leaking got worse and the caulking compound oozed under the summer sun. I called the people at Select Plastics in CT, USA. They convinced me to send in all the hatches at once and they turned them around in 2 1/2 weeks. All new cast acrylic, new seals and handle seals. Obviously there is a right and a wrong way to replace acrylic hatches and Select REALLY know there stuff. They are also a great source for Manship parts like handles etc.

Merrill and Maryse
S/V Ambition H46 #40

Dottie

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 07:32:26 PM »
Hi - we had leaking around the sliding hatch cover sure to deterioration of the black sealant in between the metal frame and the acrylic glass. We just rebedded and sealed it with Sikaflex 295 UV, which is designed for portholes. There are some videos on line about best practices for applying- tape everything, because it is difficult to clean up!

joel

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 06:03:46 PM »
Can't tell you how they are made, but consider using this:  https://www.amazon.com/Captain-Tolleys-Creeping-Crack-Bottle/dp/B00JQ6XHWC.

brian black

Portlites, reglazing?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 09:54:50 PM »
The glass in the operable portlites on our early 46 appears to be set with an elastomeric material, either an extrusion or perhaps wet sealant.  But the glass is bigger than the opening, on either side, and there's no obvious applied stop.  I wonder if these operable frames are made in two sections, and perhaps pressed together?  The glass is not broken, but the elastomeric material is a bit deteriorated.  I'm chasing leaks!   Anyone redone one of these?  The photo is of the stern port, by Hood.  But the others seem similar. 
Thanks!
Brian

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below