Author Topic: 44 rudder removal  (Read 280 times)

Chad Walsh

• Chad Walsh - Velella H44
Re: 44 rudder removal
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 03:59:18 AM »
Which H44 r u buying?  I bought mine in 2015, did a major refit, and the euphoria of owning a Hylas has worn off.  Happy to advise b 4 u dive in.

Chad
Chad Walsh - Velella H44

Sailingalice

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 04:14:57 PM »
Thanks for your input

We are having a survey done at the end of the month

Hope the be joining the owners club soon.

Blake and Erica

tbglynn

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 03:34:01 PM »
I have not removed the rudder on hull #84, nor would I be in any hurry to do that.  We have been back and forth from the NE to St. Thomas a dozen times and are planning a trans Atlantic for next year.  These boats are stout, overbuilt (albeit wet) and you can trust them with your life.

There is a robust stuffing box below the quadrant that is fully accessible with some bruised knuckles and can be inspected.  According to Marty Carlson who was the Lloyds surveyor of choice in St. Thomas during the heyday of Hylas 44s in charter, the only problem ever encountered with the rudders was the heel plate where the bottom of the rudder attaches to the skeg.  the charter company used to leave the boats on moorings with the helm unsecured and the bottom bolts would work loose.  Even when that happened, the rudder stayed in place and the boat still could be steered.  I have, in 17 years of listening, never heard of rudder failure (other than what Marty told me) on a 44. 

I am aware of Edson's view that the cables should be changed every 10 years.  If I were selling cable, I would probably think that too.  Since I don't sell cable, I inspect them carefully and keep the grease cups filled, tightening them periodically to force the grease into the sleeves.  This is stranded cable and, like rigging, should develop meat hooks signaling its deterioration rather than parting catastrophically.

Tim Glynn
s/v Egraine

joel

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 11:49:28 AM »
Canít help on rudder removal but be sure to  check the steering cables.  Edson recommends replacement every 10 years.
Joel
Atlantis
44 # 66

Sailingalice

44 rudder removal
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 08:57:32 AM »
We are still the process of buying a H44

Just wondering if any one has information about removing the ruder on a H44. We are intending to make long distance of shore passages and would like check the all the work parts for piece of mind whist the boat doing a refit.

Many thanks

Blake and Erica

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below