Author Topic: New to us Hylas 54 lists to port  (Read 160 times)

jay

Re: New to us Hylas 54 lists to port
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 01:44:20 PM »
Our old 46 had a port list also (our 56, not really).  I tried keeping starboard tanks full, moved a battery over, etc.. It helped some, but I thought it too, was just a design issue.  Then, when we raced it, we took the primary anchor off the port side, along with 200+- feet of chain.  The bow raised about 3"s, but also a lot of the list went away.  Who would have thought being near the bow?  Not saying that it will help with the 54, but you might try it. thanks-jay

Nirvana

• Nirvana - H46 #13
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 01:26:52 AM »
Nirvana, Ď97 46 #13, also has this issue.  After reading all these responses I concur the design is at fault making it near impossible to counter.  With 4 8D batteries, aft Holding tank and all Nav electronics on port it makes sense; not to mention forward stateroom drawers and berth also on port.  Lastly even though low on the Center the hot water tank is 10gl and on port of Center.

I am thinking we may move the outboard davit and mount to STB but thatís really all I can think of to move.

At least you know what your fastest tack will be!  :)
Ken Sabatini
Nirvana - Ď97 Hylas 46 #13

jt11791

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 12:38:33 AM »
Thanks for the responses, it's a comfort to know that we aren't the only H54 that leans a bit.  I'll burn down the port side fuel tanks first and see how that changes things.

Crafty

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 02:19:18 PM »
On Vanishing Point H54 hull 20 I have a port forward water tank below the port cabin as well as a port mid water tank. I only have 1 water tank on the starboard side. I believe the aft holding tank is on the port side as well. This definetly contributes to a slight port list. When my extra port forward water tank is empty and the holding tank is pumped out completely, the list is considerably less and hardly noticeable.
Cheers
David

jgronning

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 12:54:27 PM »
I own H54 #2.  She lists noticeably to port.  Iíve owned her since 2005 and I feel like the degree of list has really increased over the past couple years.  The boat sails fine, but I find it really annoying to look at.  Nothing on my boat has changed in terms of weight distribution, tankage, etc.  I estimate it would probably take 1,000 pounds of weight on the starboard rail to even the boat out.  Considering nothing has changed down below, I was wondering if the mast could be  out of alignment? I checked it and itís fine.  Iíve spent many hours thinking about this issue and investigating potential causes but I havenít a clue as to why. 

sjohnson

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 11:26:38 AM »
Jeff and Julie:

We have L'ame Libre, H54-22. We also have a slight port list as you mentioned.  I asked Queen Long about the list a number of years ago, and was informed that it is primarily due to the electrical.  All the heavy DC cables are on that side as well as the isolation transformer and all the nav gear.   I guess we could add some ballast to correct, but that seems extreme.   We also prioritize our fuel tanks to empty port tanks first, also keep the heavier spares on the STBD side and keep the heavier provisions on the STBD side, which generally gets us pretty level.

Scott Johnson
L'ame Libre
H54 - 22

Agua Dulce

• Agua Dulce is in the southern Caribbean
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 06:54:04 AM »
My wife and another 54 owner swear the the 54s list to port slightly.  I haven noticed it.  My friend with the other 54 thinks itís just inherent in the design (no idea why), so he tries to use the port tanks first.
Charles Cunningham
S/V Agua Dulce
Charles and Gretchen Cunningham
S/V Agua Dulce
Hylas 54 #30

jt11791

New to us Hylas 54 lists to port
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 05:21:59 PM »
Hello Everyone-

My wife Julie and I bought Hylas 54 #19 this year and are having a wonderful time sailing her around Long Island Sound and the surrounding areas.  We'll sail her south to Florida this winter and plan on longer voyages in the coming years.  As the third owners, we've named her "Renegade" (formerly Caris, formerly Dakare).  With a few months of ownership under my  belt I've learned enough to start asking questions (fair warning  ::) ).

First question; while looking around my mooring field, most every other boat sits straight with their mast perfectly vertical, while Renegade lists to port about 1-1/2 degrees.  That sounds small, and it's not noticeable when sailing, but I do notice it when below at anchor.   At first I guessed it was due to uneven distribution of fuel and water in the various tanks, or the location of heavy gear stowed in lazarettes, etc. However, I've now gone through all the gear and spares that came with the boat and done my best to stow the weight evenly.  Most of the really heavy things like tanks, batteries, and the generator are mounted low and close to the center line.  I've filled fuel and water tanks evenly.  All to no avail, she still lists to port.  The heavy wire cables around the nav station are the biggest asymmetry I can see, but that doesn't seem like much in the scheme of things.  Maybe I am being too sensitive but I never had this issue with my previous 38' boat.   Any other 54 owners notice this?  Is imperfect balance just a fact of life in these bigger boats?  Do I just have to beat my racer's OCD about weight in submission?

Cheers!

Jeff & Julie Taylor
S/V Renegade

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below