Author Topic: Bottom Paint suggestions and quanity?  (Read 250 times)

Mccannengineer

Re: Bottom Paint suggestions and quanity?
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 04:32:15 AM »
2 gallons of seahawk 44 with extra tin/copper works great fo two years but no available in us.

Andy
SV RYA; H 49, #26

Windswept

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 04:25:07 PM »
Not a problem Jay....thanks for the heads up! Sounds like your in good hands now! Best Don

jay

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 01:44:29 PM »
Sorry Don, didn't explain quite right on the failure.  It just happened that a rep from Seahawk, looked at the bottom prior to the work being done.  He said, the failure was the result of QL waiting too long before putting bottom paint on barrier coat, and then not prepping barrier coat enough.  The CSC came off in big chunks, so we had to blast the rest off, and the blasting took off some of the barrier, so we had to redo that also. So, it probably was not the fault of the bottom paint as much as the surface prep.  He also said, he's seen this happen more then once. I just decided to switch from CSC to Seahawk, to try it out.
As far as the 2 gallons, we only spayed one heavy coat of bottom.  The boats here get pulled every winter, and it's very easy over the years, to get so many coats of bottom paint, that you can have a huge removal process later down the road. I've had that happen with my last boat.
If I was in salt, and in the water year round, I'd at least put 2 coats on which would probably use maybe 5 gallons. Hope that answers that better.
jay

Windswept

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 08:21:17 PM »
Hello Jay...sure hope there is not major failure with the CSC here as that is what is on Windswept! ;) Two gallons? Ah, you sprayed....I have 3.5 on there now with two heavy rolled on coats.

Thanks for your input.

Best
Don

jay

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 05:32:23 PM »
Hi
I used Seahawk Cukote in dark blue.  Color looks really good, and we spayed it on.  I had major failure with Micron CSC, last year, and had to blast all the bottom paint off, redo the barrier coat and bottom paint.  We're in the Great Lakes, so our boat gets pulled every year.  That being said, my advise is not overdue with layers of bottom paint, as one day, it will have to come off.  We used two gallons.   Good luck.
Jay
Hylas 56#12

Windswept

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 01:42:33 PM »
Ambition (Merrill & Maryse) thanks heaps for your advise. Interesting to say the least regarding purchasing bottom paint outside the U.S. The only reading (Search) I found on this site....is buying paint in the U.S. before we left as all (well most) bottom paints are coming out of the states and in turn would be more economical to buy here before we left. I'll look into the Seahawk 44!! ;)

Wow... 5 gal. for 2.1/2 coats! Seahawk 44 must have some kind of viscosity to it which is always good!! ;)

Merrill....where are you at...if you don't mind? Do you have a blog or such?

Best
Don & Gloria

Ambition

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 09:47:53 PM »
On Ambition we waited until we were out of the US to apply new bottom paint. There are products that are available that cannot be purchased in the US. On our 46 we took the recommendation of folks signed up to do the World Arc and applied SeaHawk 44 Hard with extra tin. We used 5 gallons to apply 2 1/2 coats. The 1/2 coat went on the bow, leading edge of the keel and rudder and the waterline. So far we are very happy with the results.
Merrill and Maryse
S/V Ambition H46 #40

Windswept

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 02:29:16 AM »
G'day Joel, and thumbs up regarding the reply. Ablative is what we have.... I knew this as the times I have worked the water line (scrubbing)....well, you know the answer to that. ;) I plan on putting an extra coat along the water line area so as to help out in that area. I'm also thinking of raising the water line....at least an inch. For some reason (not even loaded) Windswepts stern is sitting low. Looks to me, a factory mistake?? Anyone else have this issue?

joel

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 06:55:29 PM »
Don,

Can't really help on paint selection.  You might call Jamestown Distributors to see what they recommend.  They have lots of survey data from all over the country.  You need to know if you have ablative (soft) or non-ablative (hard) paint on there now.  You also have to deal with CA enviro regs.  That may limit your options.

Two gallons should do it.

Joel

Windswept

Bottom Paint suggestions and quanity?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 03:07:22 AM »
Hello members.... well, we've had Windswept (2000 46) for several months now. We found her in Washington and sailed her down to Monterey Ca. Yep, she's a keeper for sure, smile.

Q. I'm ready for our first bottom paint and could use some help. Any suggestions on what bottom paint to use? Moss Landing, Ca. is a pretty hot (fouled) harbor, even though we get her out on the bay often. Nov. 2019 we plan on sailing with the 2019 Baha Ha Ha and beyond. Were thinking do the bottom now as she needs it....then in 2019 take our next paint with us, so as to pull her in Mexico so she's ready for the Pacific. Paint suggestions would much appreciated. Thank you!

Also, since this is our first bottom paint....how much paint (gallons) do I need?

Best
Don

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below