Author Topic: Broken Rudder  (Read 263 times)

Hylas Service Director

Re: Broken Rudder
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 09:00:22 PM »
Consider sandwiching the remaining part of the rudder with 2 pieces of 3/4 in exterior grade plywood, Steve.  Depth should be 1.25 times the length of the skeg.  Follow the leading edge of the skeg for the forward edge of the lower part of the rudder.  Make sure thereís a good 1/2 in clearance between the bottom of the skeg and the wood.  Attach the wood with 4x 1/2 in thru bolts and washers through the remaining portion of the rudder.  Donít worry about making anything fancy.  Attach the two halves below the skeg with 4 more 1/2 in bolts.  The bottom can probably be wrenched closed.  Fill the void between with cement.

Underway, it would be best to use genoa and engine.  That way, the boat is steady and handles waves decently, and without the main, there will be minimal pressure on the helm.  If the boat still rolls too much, maybe a little main will help. 

While this could be done underwater, hauled out would be far easier, of course.

Should be able to find the wood, hardware and fasteners anywhere.  Let me know if you need other ideas.

Best of luck
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 09:47:37 PM by Hylas Service Director »

brian black

Re: Broken Rudder
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 08:38:07 PM »
Hi Steve.  Any chance of getting a temp rudder fabbed there, and installed?  Could be galvanized pipe and steel plate, I imagine.  Probably you'd have to haul the boat though, I don't know if that's possible.  Jane at Queen Long could probably provide a dimensioned drawing of how they make them at the yard, could guide what you do there.   Or have one brought from the ABC's?  You might try having family contact the US government, it is close to a seizure situation. 

Steve Aronowitz

Broken Rudder
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 08:02:22 PM »
I have a hylas 46í with a broken rudder. Itís broken at the skeg. Would anybody know know what would be the best way to make a temporary rudder?  I  need to go 150 miles with it.  Venezuela is holding us hostage. We cannot get towed. We will have to figure out another way to leave. Any help would be appreciated.

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below