Author Topic: Cockpit cleaning  (Read 225 times)

jweads

Re: Cockpit cleaning
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 04:16:16 PM »
The two cockpit drains are large and are designed to drain the cockpit oh seawater from a wave.  The drains drop straight down and then turns almost horizontal to large check valves and then vertical through seacocks.  These are in the back corners of the engine compartment in front of the aft bulkhead. When we first got our 49, I was washing the cockpit while on the hard and noticed the drains slow.  The check valves were clogged with dried mud.  It took a hose from the bottom and plunger from the top to loosen dirt and free drain.  If you are in the water, try tapping on the check valves.  I could not open the check plug to access the inside.  In the water you should be able to run water from a hose directly down the drain and not overflow back on the floor.  We made it a point not to flush anything but liquid down the drains.
Hope this helps.

J W Eads
Over Budget
H49-16

smotley

Cockpit cleaning
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 09:58:50 PM »
We have a Hylas 49-10 and my wife has asked me to ask the group how they clean their cockpits.   She did ours the other day and was very frustrated with how the water drainage would not drain quick enough and raised pedestal footing made brushing the dirty water aft towards the drain a pain as well.

Looking forward to hearing your experiences

Shawn
94' Hylas 49 #10

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below