Author Topic: Ground Wire - Rudder Skeg / Shoe Hylas 46  (Read 666 times)

Ambition

Re: Ground Wire - Rudder Skeg / Shoe Hylas 46
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 03:07:07 PM »
Ken,
That upload / download worked just fine. Thank you for sharing!
Merrill

Nirvana

• Nirvana - H46 #13
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 12:28:51 PM »
Ok, trying this again.  May have been a file name issue (iCloud file names are random characters and long).

Worked for me after I posted it but be warned, the images are large and will not appear properly if viewed within the forum.  I recommend saving them locally before viewing.

also, I apologize for the readability of the text, these were taken with a scan utility while the prints lay on the floor.  if you need close-ups of a given section iíll be happy to retake, just let me know.

Ken

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 12:32:39 PM by KSabatini »
Ken Sabatini
Nirvana - Ď97 Hylas 46 #13

Ripple

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 03:17:33 PM »
Ken, I am envious of your dry bilge. The leaking probably starts when the shoe on the skeg is either removed and not properly re-bedded or stresses on the rudder/skeg when sailing break the bond between the skeg and shoe. Even then, as water fills the skeg, it might not get past the thin layer of glass covering the skeg at the hull. BTW, I also could not download your drawings although the counter indicated that I tried.

Jim Ripple
H 46-53

Nirvana

• Nirvana - H46 #13
Re: Ground Wire - Rudder Skeg / Shoe Hylas
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 12:57:52 AM »
Merrill, it appears these attachments have been downloaded 19 and 16 times respectively. 
We’re you or anyone else able to successfully download them?  (As opposed to viewing them by clicking on them?)

P.S.  apologies for the lack of clarity in the images.  These are large blueprints and taking the pic with my iPhone and subsequently my iPad did not provide a good image at that size.
If anyone is interested in a closeup of a particular section of the drawings in more detail,let me know and i’d Be happy to post it with a better view.

Ken
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 01:05:08 AM by KSabatini »
Ken Sabatini

Ambition

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 01:53:52 PM »
K Sabatini,
You please take another shot at uploading the drawings. The files in your post were blank
Thanks
Merrill

Nirvana

• Nirvana - H46 #13
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 01:24:37 PM »
Iíve attached photos of our blueprints for the strut and rudder.

Iím intrigued by this problem and will take a look on Nirvana.  Her bilge remains dry all season unless I get to cleaning or working on something that purposely induces water into the area so iím curious at what point and why this may become an issue.
Ken Sabatini

Ripple

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 12:20:11 AM »
The drawing is on the boat on Trinidad and I am in Ohio but I provided my rendition here, looking from the back or front. His drawing showed a nice fairing between the skeg and hull but in reality it is a sharp angle. Don't know how long it will take to fix. The skeg feels solid with the rudder in place but moves in relation to the hull without the rudder installed. JR

Ambition

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 03:30:07 PM »
JR,
Thanks so much for the very detailed explanation of what is going on. On Ambition, the water volume that leaks in is certainly far from what you experienced - our dribble never makes it to the bilge before evaporating. That being said, it clearly is an issue if it gets to what you experienced. I will keep my eye on it to see if it gets worse. We are hauling the boat out in a few days so I will check the keg and shoe for any movement. The rudder was already replaced 4 years ago and I am wondering if there was a little sloppiness in the reinstall that has now cause my small leak. I would greatly appreciate a copy of the drawing that Queen Long provided to you - merrill.mant@me.com Lastly I suspect from your description, the repair was how many hours of work?
Thank you so much for the information, much appreciated.
Merrill and Maryse
S/V Ambition H46 #40

Ripple

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 01:42:46 PM »
Hi Merrill and Maryse,

After 3 years of searching, I found the annoying leak under the blower hose under the steering pulley box. I recently wrote to Qreen Long about this problem and they sent a drawing. The Skeg is molded to the hull. A bronze plate is located in the hollow space in the skeg and the shoe bolts go through it. A ground wire is attached to the plate. The hollow space is filled with loose material and covered with a layer of fiberglass to keep the loose material in place. Water leaking around the shoe bolts migrates through the loose material and penetrates the hull around the ground wire and/or the thin layer of glass that was not designed to stop water but merely retain the loose fill. When our rudder was removed two years ago, they mentioned that the skeg felt loose. I should have paid more attention at that time. So, for peace of mind, the rudder is coming out, along with the quadrant pulley box. The skeg will be faired to the hull with glass on the outside. The interior of the skeg will be exposed thru the hull and glass reinforced from the inside. The ground wire will de replaced with a rod. The interior area will be glassed over significantly. Finally, the shoe will be replaced with plenty of sealant. Maybe next season we won't have to listen to the bilge pump every 10 minutes. JR

Ambition

Ground Wire - Rudder Skeg / Shoe Hylas 46
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 08:15:51 PM »
I recently noticed that there is a small amount of water intrusion around the ground wire that I believe / guess is connected to the skeg / shoe for the rudder. I seem to recall a post on here but couldn't find it. Do any others have this issue? Is it something that can be resolved? If so what fixes did you use. I just hate when the outside water gets on the inside anywhere!
Cheers
Merrill and Maryse
S/V Ambition H46 #40

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below