Author Topic: Water Leak - Swim Platform - 46  (Read 1418 times)

curtandkt

Re: Water Leak - Swim Platform - 46
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 05:15:19 PM »
Hi All,

Aurora has been on the hard for 5 months. I went to seal the mounting holes for the aft bilge pump switch. Much to my surprise, when I removed the screws, water starting coming up the from the screw holes. After about a half a day of sponging out about three gallons the leak stopped. So there is obviously a confined space below the swim step compartment that is holding water and does not drain to the bilge. Not sure how large this space is or how much water can be retained in the area. Merrill, I really like you idea of installing a deck plate to gain access to this area. Let us know how the install goes and how large the space is. I wonder if it is possible and/or maybe a good or bad idea to have that area drain into the main bilge (water tight bulkhead issue) or possibly installing the aft bilge pump intake that area with drain holes in the compartment floor? I have also purchased a water witch switch and will install soon. I also confirmed that the hatch seal for the swim-step compartment is poor at best with areas in the corners (horizontal to vertical) with no seal contact at all. I think this can be fixed with additional custom cut/shaped gasket material. Aurora also has a large aft arch that we have out dinghy mounted to as well as our solar panel array and a number of antennas.

Curtis and Katie
S/V Aurora Hylas 46 #41

Ambition

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 05:15:55 PM »
I purchased a 6" round deckplate to install in the floor of the swim platform locker. This way I will have access to that "hidden area" of the boat and will have no problem getting in there to either remove water or just for inspection. The new WaterWitch sensors are doing their job nicely. I can confirm that the swim platform cover DOES NOT perfectly match the form of the mating opening. In a test of a new marriage - closed the little lady inside and she marked the "daylight" locations and the corners are the poor mating parts. We will change out the seals and then add a little in the corners to fill in the gaps to eliminate 99%+ of the water infiltration.
Cheers and thanks everyone for your feedback.
Merrill and Maryse (yes I let her out!)
S/V Ambition H46 #040

bjhsail

• 2000 Hylas 46 "Helios"
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 03:29:05 PM »
Thanks everyone for the input and info.

Brad
SV Helios

Ripple

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 11:00:35 AM »
Brad and Marilyn,

The leak that we have, as far as I know, doesn't involve the shelf area in the step lazarette. My leak originates over the rudder skeg about half way between the rudder post and the ground wire that goes thru the hull and I assume to the shoe on the skeg. All of this is located under the engine room blower hose. I've written to Queen Long asking for advice. Regarding the gasket on the steps, it appears that the shape of the gasket groove doesn't match the shape of the surface on the transom at the corners. Until that is fixed, we will be getting some water in the lazarette.

Jim and Pat
Sv Capers
h 46-53

Ambition

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 12:57:39 PM »
Curt and Katie,
Yes our swim platform has been letting some water in. I recently added a 3/8" layer of closed cell neoprene strip to test if the water ingress is due to the original seal being tired. All indications so far is that I have stopped about 85+% of the water that was coming in. I do ned to mention that Ambition has an arch on the stern in which the skiff hangs - that may well set us a down a little and make the water problem worse. I did purchase from Queen Long a substantial length of gasket material and this summer will have all the locker gaskets changed - 16 years has got to mean the original seals are not what they need to be. Will through bolt the hinges on the locker lids at the same time so I do not "pop" the screws out!

You will love the Water Witch solution - 12 V models 203 and 101 for the alarms.

Cheers
Merrill and Maryse
S/V Ambition H46 #40

curtandkt

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 04:41:26 AM »
We had the same issue with Aurora (Hylas 46 #41) of leak from screws holding the bilge pump switch in the aft swim compartment. Too long a screw for the thin hull in the sump of that compartment. Also had an issue with the switch not functioning well and sticking open do to the angle of the sump floor. I worked out a system of fender washer to level the switch. It is working well now. But I really like your solution of a non-mechanical switch in that location and I think I'll follow your lead. Thanks for the great idea. Has anyone noticed that their aft swim compartment takes on a little water in heavy seas and when well healed? I seem to get more water in the compartment when on a starboard tack. It could be the hatch seal. But it doesn't seem like the seal is underwater much even in heavy seas. The vent is on the starboard side and could be the issue. I gone back and looked at the vent in the heavy conditions and it appears it is above the waterline almost all the time. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue? Thanks and have a super day.

Curtis and Katie
S/V Aurora Hylas 46 #41 

Ambition

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 12:58:39 AM »
The water leaked into the sub floor of swim platform through the screw holes that hold the float switch. The installation certainly appears to be a commissioning installation. It was not done with the same care as the rest of the boat. I used a small pump with a thin tube to extract as much of the water as I could. It is below the floor and aft of the watertight bulkhead so the water really has no where to go. I am trying to decide if it would be worth cutting a larger access hole in the floor of the swim locker to get the remaining water out and then close it with a deck plate.
At any rate the two float switches are now history and been replaced with one Water Witch bilge pump sensor and one high water alarm sensor. No moving parts to fail!
Merrill and Maryse
S/V Ambition H46 #40

bjhsail

• 2000 Hylas 46 "Helios"
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 12:37:27 AM »
Hi All -
We have Helios (2000 H46 #27), and we're noticing a similar small leak on the inside of the aft bulkhead to the port of the rudder quadrant, where a bolt/screw supporting a bracket for the rudder angle sensor penetrates the bulkhead. Just a slight weeping of water, but clearly coming from below the floor of the aft step compartment.  Merrill or Jim, Were you able to resolve your leak, or determine how to access the area below the floor of the aft step compartment (if possible)? Or have you received any insight from Queen Long?
Thanks~
Brad & Marilyn
SV Helios

Ripple

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 03:57:45 PM »
Hi Merrill and Maryse,

On our h46-53, Hylas installed a fiberglass floor in the aft step locker that extends from the bulkhead to about 2 feet back. This levels out the locker floor and provides a well for the pump intake. On your boat it appears that water leaked into the void between the hull and floor maybe thru the float screws or caulking around the perimeter of the floor. Or maybe something weird is going on as I have water seeping thru the hull in front of the rudder post. One possibility, I guess, is a leak at the rudder post/hull area that is migrating. The ladder brackets are bolted to the transom and the nuts are visible from inside the locker.

Jim
sv Capers

joel

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 12:39:51 PM »

Ambition

Water Leak - Swim Platform - 46
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 12:05:38 PM »
I finally got around to a couple little upgrade projects. The first one tackled was removing both float switches in the stern locker / swim platform to be replaced with Water Witch sensors. When I removed the pump float switch from the well in the locker, a substantial quantity (1 or 2 gallons) of salt water came in through the attachment screw hole. Clearly the screw wasn't long enough to go through the bottom :-) so it had to be coming from somewhere. The only other location I can figure out is the 8 attachment screws / bolts for the swim ladder.
Has anyone else run into this issue before? Is the swim ladder attached with just screws of through bolted?

Thanks as always
Merrill and Maryse
S/V Ambition

PS as a side note, I tried the following email address for Queen Long and I keep getting an undeliverable notification -  qlmarine@hylasyacht.com.tw Is there a new email for Jane at Queen Long?

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below