Author Topic: Fuel Tank Sensors  (Read 1993 times)

brian black

Re: Fuel Tank Sensors
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 12:31:29 PM »
we too installed the tank tender system, on all 7 of the tanks.  working fine. 

jay

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2018, 05:10:31 PM »
Jim
If you send your email to
jaysails@comcast.net
I can forward you info

KSabatini

• Nirvana - H46 #13
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 02:31:11 PM »
Jay;
We have Nirvana (46 - #13) which we purchased two years ago.  It has been an experience managing fuel to the dip stick but weve faired well so far. 

Id be extremely interested in any photo you might be able to forward of the Wema sensor install in your tanks.
Ive seriously considered doing this type of upgrade but like others im hesitant to drill the SS to fit them.

I too installed the Dometic system on both holding tanks after discovering and subsequently repairing a failed forward Holding Tank which had filled up the void under the chain locker apparently for years unbeknownst to the prior owners. Now our bow actually rides 2-3 higher.  I pumped over 40g out of that space including the tank.  All I can say is ... YUK!

Ken
Ken Sabatini
Nirvana - 97 Hylas 46 #13

jay

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 02:44:01 PM »
Joel
Yes, I also installed a Wema system in our 56 last summer.  It was 8 different tanks, not including the 2 holding tanks, which already have sensors.  I used a Wema 7 multi gauge and a 2 multi gauge. The senders come in a metric size that fits in the inspection port of each tank, and screws right in.  You just have to order the right length of sender to come as close to the bottom of the tank as possible. To my amazement, it works great.  The only minor issue is that after turning on the system, the 7 system gauge has a backlight that is about 3 times brighter then the 2 gauge that I installed in the nav panal. Called the company, and they sent me a new one, but it was the same.  It just looks a bit funny, but functions fine. Also, some of the tanks are not flat at the bottom, so a couple of the senders are not able to read the tank real accurate, but close enough. If I were to do it again, I would order the boat with these installed.
take care, jay

joel

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 05:02:27 PM »
I completed the install of a fuel gauge in my aft tank using the Wema sensor and gauge.  It just works!

I installed the sensor in the inspection port so I did not have any shavings in the tank.  Drilling the 1.5 inch hole was a chore.  I bought a diamond tipped bit that was a waste of $50.  A Milwaukee hole saw did the job with a little light oil.  Cobalt bits to drill the bolt holes.  I put the nylock nuts on top of the unit so the nylon was not exposed to diesel.  I put the gauge on the breaker for nav instruments and the backlight on the unused Loran breaker.

If I get ambitious over the winter I will add gauges to the water tanks and switch to the gauge that can handle up to 7 tanks.

Dave Brennan

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 05:39:52 PM »
We also have the Tank Tender for fuel and water and it's worked flawlessly for 12 years. The Tank Watch is another story, however. They floats started failing after about 5 years. I still need to take a closer look to see what went wrong. Just last weekend I started removing them and replacing with the Maretron TLM100 NMEA 2000 ultrasonic sensors. The aft tank was a real pain as it is below the washer/dryer. I hope to never have to remove it again, but I used a small hydraulic motorcycle lift that helped tremendously! I also found that QL used a brass barb for the tank vent attachment and it had basically disintegrated. It would have been bad if the tank had ever completely filled up.

Ambition

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 05:52:35 PM »
Will and Dottie,
Just to put my comments into context. Ambition had sat tied to the dock for 12 years without any use prior to our purchase. I suspect that the challenges I had were due to a) lack of use (like many other systems on board) and b) my comprehension that inches of fuel and inches of diesel is all relative to the depth of the tanks and our fuel tanks are very shallow ~9" so the gauge will never exceed a reading of 9" unless you fill up the to the deck fitting which we are not supposed to do with the Tank Tender. So in our case we are about 1/2 full when the gauge is reading 4.5" of diesel.

Good luck!
Merrill and Maryse
S/V Ambition Hylas 46 #40

will@willclower.com

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 05:43:46 PM »
Dear Chris, Joel, John(s), Merrill and Maryse,

GREAT comments, thank you all so much -- this is exactly why I love this board.

I believe we are going to move forward with the Tank Tender system for the 4 SS diesel tanks. Just need to make sure, when they do the install, that we understand the maintenance schedule so the tubes don't get fouled in the long term.

I will post back here once we get installed and let you guys know how it went!!

Thank you all again so much.
Will and Dottie, Amari H46 #33

stgermain45

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 04:24:06 PM »
John,

Same goes on Beleza - only freshwater and diesel are monitored by the Tank Tender, in our case 3 SS tanks each. We also have the Sealand/Dometic Tank Watch 4 for both our fwd and aft holding tanks. I don't recommend it, as I've had to remove the sensors from the tank on a few occasions to clean gunk off the stuck floats. Not a big job since access is good, just smelly and NOT fun. Those experiences have marred my overall opinion on the Sealand/Dometic sensors. I've thought about replacing or just adding a redundant holding tank monitoring system. If you go with the Ferriello System, please let us know how it works. I had looked at their monitors and have read good things about their customer service. I imagine you'll have to sand smooth the exterior of the holding tank for where the strip applies. Having looked inside our tanks (ewwww!), I've seen the walls get caked a bit and have wondered if these capacitive strip type systems could contend with that. I like that the Ferriello Profile 8 system will show the level in a percentage. I have no interest in retrofitting our other diesel/water tanks where I'd need the 8-tank system, but knowing the precise level of effluent in the holding tank is a nice bonus compared with a system that only shows at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full. In our case, I wonder with each flush if a float is gunked up and might not register on the panel. I'd prefer no monitoring at all compared with one that reads incorrectly.

Chris
s/v Beleza, H46 #44

Ambition

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 01:27:17 PM »
John,
On board Ambition the Hart Tank Tender is used only for the 3 fresh water and 2 diesel tanks. The 2 holding tanks are monitored with Sealand (Dometic) Tank Watch 4 for level monitoring and Tank Master 4 to manage the pump (lock-out / automatic or manual operation).

All work very well.
Merrill and Maryse

johnspiegel

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 04:28:33 AM »
Just this afternoon I sat down to look at tank gauge options for our H46 (3 SS water, 2 SS diesel, and 2 i-think-fiberglass holding tanks). I'd been looking at the Hart Tank Tender system, but I'm a little concerned that it could get fouled in the holding tanks (I saw some reports about that on CruisersForum.com). Do you have your Hart Tank Tenders hooked up to your holding tanks? Any problems?

I've also been looking at the "New Providence Marine / Ferriello Sales" system. It uses external capacitive strips (should work for the fiberglass holding tanks, non-fouling), no-moving-parts pvc capacitive sensor rods (SS water tanks?), and it also supports Wema fuel float sensors (the capacitive sensors don't work with diesel).

I've been a bit loathe myself to tap new holes, and I've been hoping that I can rig some adapter to stick sensors in the "deck fill cap" holes in the water and diesel tanks. Seems like it should work, though I might lose the ability to get a reading for the last inch or so of tank height. Has anyone tried replacing the deck fill caps with level sensors? As far as I can tell, they're 1 1/4" NPS (straight, not tapered NPT).

-John
Vesper, H46 #30

joel

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 03:28:44 PM »
I don't have any gauges, but will eventually get around to these:

http://www.wemausa.com/gauges/level.shtml#Fuel

Joel
44 # 66
Atlantis

Ambition

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 03:14:09 PM »
Will and Dottie,
Ambition also has the Hart Systems Tank Tender that Chris describes, on all our water and fuel tanks. When we purchased Ambition, I had a hard time getting the system to work effectively and the folks at Hart did a great job in coaching me through the troubleshooting. I changed the tubes in the fuel tanks and all become right with the readings.

I would strongly recommend Hart's Tank Tender. I would be pleased to send you off a couple of pictures to give you an idea of the installation if you wish.

Merrill and Maryse

stgermain45

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 03:16:15 PM »
On Beleza (and a lot of Hylas boats we've viewed), we have the Hart Systems "Tank Tender". It uses nylon tubing run to the bottom of the tank. When you pump it at the panel, air pressure in the tube in the tank equals liquid pressure at the tank bottom and the gauge shows the number of inches of fluid. You can then translate inches to number of gallons (we have a chart next to the gauge for easy lookup). Very low-tech but also very accurate. The entry of the tubing at the tank is offset from the center tank access hole, so it does not interfere with inspection.

Hope this helps,
Chris
s/v Beleza, H46 #44

will@willclower.com

Fuel Tank Sensors
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 01:14:19 PM »
Hi everyone,

We purchased Amari (2001, 46 CC) and have had her for 8 months now. She did not come with diesel sensors, so we approached the local marina boat repair person for options. 

He said that the space was too tight to do basically anything other than to drill a big hole in the top, in order to mount the sensor into it. This just doesn't seem right to me, and I cannot believe that other Hylas owners either don't have fuel sensors or have to go to extraordinary lengths to install one.

So, I guess I'm asking what you guys have used -- I'm attaching a pic of the access to the space.

Thank you all so much, and can't wait to get your thoughts!!
Will and Dottie Clower
Amari, #33
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 01:26:23 PM by will@willclower.com »

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below