Author Topic: Cutter rig set up on Hylas 44  (Read 1218 times)

joel

Re: Cutter rig set up on Hylas 44
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 03:16:31 PM »
Tim,

Thanks!!  QL sent me photos of the 'chainplate' they use on the 46.  I'm going to buy one.  The stay will be removable.  Or I might do a wire luff staysail.  I don't plan on a furler either, as we spend most of our time in the Chesapeake where we rarely see over 20 knots.  When racing I want to use it to add sail area.  When cruising I want to be able to furl the #2 in a blow but still have a headsail.

Do you have a pad-eye on deck?  Do you have a separate jib track for the staysail?

I'll talk to Selden about the running backs.  My rig has no bend at all.
We ran a #4 jib and 2 reefs in 35 gusting to 50+.  Would have been nice to keep the crew off the bow and run a staysail!  Didn't have any issue with the mast pumping.
Joel
44#66
Atlantis

tbglynn

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 02:55:55 PM »
Joel,

Egraine #84 has a breakaway inner forestay and running backstays which oppose the forestay.  The strongpoint (not exactly a chainplate) for the stay where it meets the deck is just forward of the bulkhead between the forward stateroom and the anchor locker.  The running backs have a dedicated track on each side deck just aft of the cockpit. 

We have a hank on stays'l.  It is a small sail, but it is the right size when you need a small sail.  I have sheeted it, almost on centerline, flat as a piece of plywood when forereaching in 50kts, gusts to 60 kts, with three reefs in the main, and have used it point in the direction we wanted to go when I couldn't keep the jib flying.  Sometimes I have used it to make the boat go faster flying a partially reefed heads'l just overlapping the stays'l, although that's trial and error.  I probably wouldn't bother with it sailing summers in the Northeast, but on passage, it's a great set of options to have.

I'll send pictures next time I go to the boat, but that is likely to be a couple of weeks.

I recommend that you install it so that you can remove it.  The sail is small enough to be manageable without roller furling and when you sail in places where you tack, a fixed inner forestay is a lot of extra work.

I highly recommend the stays'l for all the reasons above.

I also highly recommend running backs.  We rig Egraine with a lot of pre-bend in the mast.  When the mast starts pumping, you can take the pump out, flatten the ride and gain boat speed with aggressive use of the running backs. This doesn't matter much below 20 kts of true wind, but when it starts to blow, I wouldn't leave home without them.

Tim Glynn
s/v Egraine   

Obsession

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 09:38:11 PM »
It is just below the top spreader I am attaching a couple pictures

joel

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 02:40:55 PM »
Thanks for the info!  Does the halyard enter the mast above or below the second spreader?

Obsession

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 12:34:30 PM »
Ours is Hull 28.  We have a removable inner forestay.  We hardly ever use it as we are on the Chesapeake Bay and do a lot of tacking.   The backstays for the inner forestay are fixed and go thru the deck and the tangs attach to some glassed in plates that appear in the cabinets just before the nav station and galley.  I assume they were made when the boat was built.  I can send a picture if someone is interested. 

We use the inner forestay if we are offshore and are not going to do a lot of tacking.  It also can be used if there is a storm and need to completely furl the genoa. 

Jim   

Sailingalice

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 10:41:25 AM »
Hi Joel

The boat has a halyard just below or above the second spreader, iv not been up the mast. The current owner has never used the stay in any way and does not have an running back stays. I am having a rigger look at the rig next week. I have asked him to look into setting this all up and whats required. I will let you know what his thoughts are.

Blake 

joel

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 12:55:07 AM »
Blake

Thanks!!  Thatís very helpful. Two more questions. Does the halyard enter the mast below the second spreader?  Do you have running back stays?  Do you use them?  Ok thatís three.

Sailingalice

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 07:36:22 PM »
Hi Joel

I took a couple of photos when i viewed a 44 last week. I hope this helps. The photo is taken form inside the anchor locker looking aft. Let me know if you need any more info.

Blake

joel

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 05:27:00 PM »
I'm considering adding a staysail to my 44.  Does anyone have a picture/diagram/description of the chainplate that attaches to the bulkhead?

joel

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 05:21:14 PM »
Back to an old topic - how far behind the headstay is the attachment point for your staysail?  Does it tie into the bulkhead for the anchor locker?

NordicSunII

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 06:54:49 PM »
I bought the boat with a cutter rig all set up.  It is removable.  Right now it is just a wire and a hank on orange storm sail.  The storm sail only goes part of the way.  Only raised it at the dock.  I have no know idea even where the running backs go.  I am sure they clip some where along the rail.

I'm considering going with a 110% full hoist roller furler that has a form luff so it could be rolled into 80-85%.  This would allow me to roll in the 130% front jib, and then roll out the inner 110% when the wind comes up. 

I'm just wondering if anyone has more thoughts on using a cutter rig.  I'm going to re-rig the boat some day, so now I'm just trying to figure out where to spend my money.

joel

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 04:26:31 PM »
Curious - where do the running backstays attach?  Do you have padeyes or use the toerail?  Where? 

Joel
44 #66 Atlantis

Chad Walsh

• Chad Walsh - Velella H44
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 03:07:37 PM »
I go back and forth on this.  I added the stay with great pain about 2 years ago, and I try to use it as much as possible.  We are in an area that requires a bit of tacking, so I prefer the removable stay, but I was recently amazed at how well the boat sails close hauled with the stay in place so I am in a quandary on this.  If I were somewhere that required less tacking, I'd go with a roller furling stay.

Glad I'm not the only h44 with a stay. 

Curious how you rig your staysail sheets?  We hook up a thimble on the reeling winches to get a good angle, then to a block just aft of the mid cleat on the toe rail, then to the aft winches above the aft cabin.  She points really well with this arrangement (designed with a lot of help from Cami Richards at Pineapple Sails - Bob Perry consulted on the support structure for the stay).

Chad
Sv Velella h44#74
Chad Walsh - Velella H44

NordicSunII

Cutter rig set up on Hylas 44
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 05:48:34 PM »
I have an inner stay on my Hylas 44 that goes to the second spreader.  The stay is has running backstays.  I'm considering putting a roller furled headsail on this one.  What kind of sail arrangement are people putting on this kind of stay set up.  I'm going to replace my headsail, and put on a new roller furler staysail, and am wondering what other people are doing about head sails on this kind of rig.  Any advice appreciated.

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below