Author Topic: Refrigeration compressor location on a 44?  (Read 3437 times)

snailor

Re: Refrigeration compressor location on a 44?
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2020, 08:56:27 PM »
Congratulations on your H-46 purchase!  We have Hull 34 built mostly in 2000 but commissioned as a 2001 model.  That pump is to clear any water that accumulates in your fridge and freezer.  There is a filter screen for that and the aft shower drain on the port side of the engine compartment you'll need to keep clean for this to work right.  There should also be some metal plugs for the fridge and freezer drains to keep cold air from seeping down the drain lines.  These must be removed momentarily when you run the pump and then replaced in the holes when you're done.

If you're only getting down to 31 degrees in the freezer I would suspect a problem with the refrigerant level or some other problem.  We keep ours at 17 degrees which is just low enough to keep the gelato firm.  We keep our fridge at 40 which is the lowest we can go and not have half the contents freeze.

Its important to check and maybe replace all the rubber seals around the fridge doors and hatches which on a boat this age are often deteriorating.

Since both of our compressors are positioned way aft under the aft end of the centerline queen (stbd) we installed an exhaust fan and duct leading to a deck cowl to keep the hot air from building up in that compartment. Not only does that trapped air make more work for the fridge units, it also bakes my underside while laying on the berth on a hot summer night.  The fan is simply a 6-inch computer fan attached to the freezer compressor controller - so it runs when the freezer runs which is quite a bit more than the fridge. The cowl is just to the right of the backstay on the little ledge outside the deck. We keep it aimed aft but also have a plug we can stick into the opening to keep water out during rough weather.

Regards,
Eric
S/V Santosha H-46 #34

bhalderman

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2020, 08:39:39 PM »
Hi All,

New question regarding refrigeration. We just got a lovely 2001 Hylas 46 #43. I am not clear on what exactly the refrigeration pump button below the galley sink actually does. It is a press and hold so not intended to be on for long. I assumed it was to pump out any water collecting in the bottom of the fridge and or freezer....but we haven't seen any after 3 weeks of use. What we do see is the freezer collects quite a bit of condensation on the outside of the door and it appears there has been some previous water damage on the door panel.  We are keeping the settings as high as possible that still keeps frozen food frozen which is 31 degrees F ....much higher than I expected.

joel

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2020, 02:06:09 PM »
Andy,

Thanks for the heads-up.  I'll have to see what provision he has for drainage. 

Joel

YachtShah

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2020, 05:14:33 AM »
Just has a new spillover system installed. Frigoboat 50 installed in dead space in the aft cabin on the starboard side under the cabinet where an a/c is located. They installed a louver to provide ventilation.

Yes, I put my freezer compressor there, good idea to put a louvre in, also I would recommend putting a drip catcher of some kind, as mine created a lot of moisture behind actually just from the pipes, and this rotted out the back of the woodwork.  Shame as it is structural.  It was an ok repair, but some of the woodwork is blackened now.
Andy Alford, Yacht SHAH, Hylas 44, Hull 65, 1989 - currently cruising Borneo, Philippines and Indonesia

joel

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2020, 09:22:17 PM »
Just has a new spillover system installed. Frigoboat 50 installed in dead space in the aft cabin on the starboard side under the cabinet where an a/c is located. They installed a louver to provide ventilation.

NordicSunII

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 06:56:50 PM »
my compressor for the reefer is under the aft double bunk.  Three vent hole where drilled in the cabinet.  Remember on hull #4 my stern double bunk is up next to the starboard side. .

joel

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 02:02:56 PM »
Andy,

I hope you are well!

Under the cupboard floor to the left of the stove?  Do you mean under the floor of the cabinet for the trash bin? 

If you have cloud storage on dropbox, google drive or the like you could upload photos and share them that way, or create a Facebook page for your boat.

Joel
Atlantis Hull 66

YachtShah

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 01:20:54 AM »
I have BD35 for fridge under the cupboard floor on the left of the stove.  No ventilation and works perfectly.  I now run it on low speed setting, with a digital thermometer, and it uses much less power in a 24 hour cycle than before on the high speed.  The Danfoss instructions say that the lowest speed is best provided the unit is on for less than 50% of the time.  This also means there is no need for a fan on the controller.  I will try to attach the spec. sheet with details.

I have the BD50 for the Waeco SuperColdMachine Freezer under the floor in the Aft Cabin Starboard Hanging Locker.  Again, no ventilation, but this is cooled with a Marsh 0.5Amp water pump.  This is connected to the holding plate, and I have reduced the size of the freezer box to half - just the lower half.  Works really well, and the upper half of the freezer bay now maintains around 15 degrees C (I call it the "chiller"), so is good for eggs, rice, sealant, drugs, etc.  Again this is now running at low speed on a digital thermostat ($20 from eBay, includes an alarm.)  Power consumption is considerably less since running at low speed, and I am surprised Waeco don't recommend this.  And now, I have no problem setting the temperature to any value - normally I am running at -10 to -15 degC, once stuff is already frozen (just running from Solar.)  If I am freezing warm stuff, I will set it lower.  It has gone to -22 degC without a problem.  Took a while to get down to temperature, but then stayed there happily.  Of course, when you remove something it has more work to do.

I don't like the noise of the BD50 in the aft cabin.  (It is almost silent, but so are many anchorages!)  And if I did it again, I would use the space between the Starboard water tank and the end of the Starboard berth.  That would be plenty large enough, and easily accessible.  Then could even put a grill for exhaust ventilation if necessary. 

In all cases, the compressor is getting good cool air up from the bilge.  The question is where for the hot air to go to?  There is a large hole in the floor into the pots & pan locker in the galley, so I find the pots are warmed when the fridge works hard. 

I would NOT put a compressor anywhere near the engine, as the ambient temperature would not help at all.  I have put my watermaker pumps in the "cupboard under the stairs" but this seems to get very salty air, and suffers more corrosion than elsewhere.  My bilge pump always leaves a little water so I guess this is tainting the air in there.

I've got loads of photos of this stuff, and it would be great to compare notes, if some technical person has an idea how we could categorise and share them in any meaningful way?

Not sure if any of these ideas / experiences are of use to anyone?! Andy
Andy Alford, Yacht SHAH, Hylas 44, Hull 65, 1989 - currently cruising Borneo, Philippines and Indonesia

joel

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 02:01:31 PM »
Thanks all!

I knew there was a lot of room under the center berth, but I will check out the space under the vanity and starboard berth.   I hate wasting a whole cabinet on the compressor!
Burt, thanks for the usage stats!  I was guessing 80 watts for my system.  Wind chill in Annapolis was 11 this a.m.

burtpreston

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 01:36:05 AM »
I put both Danfoss compressors under the aft stateroom bunk. Mine are SeaFrost units that are both air and water cooled. For the air cooling I put ductwork in to draw air from the aft stateroom. The exhaust air from the compressors dumps into the area under the aft stateroom bunk, which connects via the bilge with the interior space of the hull. Thetheory is that the area under the bunk should be cooler because of the large amount of surface area below the water level and the flow of exhaust air through the bilge should also serve to cool that air before it gets to the living areas. This flow of warm dry air through the bilge areas should also serve to reduce the humidity in the bilge.

On average it takes about 65 amps per day to keep my refrigerator at 45 degrees and my freezer at 9 degrees, as we travel between Maine and the Bahamas during the year.

Burt Preston
Exuberant H-44 #83

burtpreston

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 01:32:37 AM »
I put both Danfoss compressors under the aft stateroom bunk. Mine are SeaFrost units that are both air and water cooled. For the air cooling I put ductwork in to draw air from the aft stateroom. The exhaust air from the compressors dumps into the area under the aft stateroom bunk, which connects via the bilge with the interior space of the hull. Thetheory is that the area under the bunk should be cooler because of the large amount of surface area below the water level and the flow of exhaust air through the bilge should also serve to cool that air before it gets to the living areas. This flow of warm dry air through the bilge areas should also serve to reduce the humidity in the bilge.

On average it takes about 65 amps per day to keep my refrigerator at 45 degrees and my freezer at 9 degrees, as we travel between Maine and the Bahamas during the year.

Burt Preston
Exuberant H-44 #83

Norm

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 09:50:11 PM »
I put the compressor for my Frigoboat system under the vanity drawer in the starboard side aft cabin.
Norm

joel

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 02:02:45 PM »
That's where my hot water heater is. 

Obsession

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 06:32:16 PM »
Both Danfoss compressors are located under the  sink.

joel

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 05:48:11 PM »
Jim,

I don't have a Grunert.  I have a Danfoss compressor.  Where is your Frigoboat compressor located?

Joel

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below