Author Topic: Selden Mainsail furler servicing  (Read 5655 times)

Sailsteady

Re: Selden Mainsail furler servicing
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2020, 05:35:30 PM »
Great discussion and something that has been on my to-do list since purchasing Nepenthe back in 2018.  She's a 1997 H46 (#16) and has the age-appropriate model of Selden electric mainsail furler.  I've attached a few pics for reference.  I actually started to try and remove the box at one point but then stopped myself short figuring that I may want to do a little research first!  ha.  I did attempt to add some grease using the zerk fitting on the outside, however, most of that quickly leaked out as brown goop around the winch handle fitting.  That seems to be common from what I'm reading, especially if the seals are shot.

I've got most of November to tackle this project and would love to hear from anyone who has serviced this exact model.  Any particular notes about removing it from the mast etc would be most helpful.

As always, thanks in advance for any assistance!

Best,

Dan
SV Nepenthe
1997 H46 #16

Hermitage

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2020, 06:41:03 AM »
Wow. Fantastic. Thank you for sharing Guy.

Windswept

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2020, 05:27:28 AM »
Thumbs up Guy.... needless to say, pic is worth a thousand words!  ;)

Best
Don
Windswept #028

derek

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2020, 05:20:18 AM »
Many thanks Guy that was very informative
Derek

RH2

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2020, 03:55:21 AM »
Hi,

I had a couple of requests for photos so I have added a bit of commentary to hopefully assist.
Also correction, allen keys are required, not hex keys

Regards

Guy

RH2

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2020, 01:18:49 PM »
Hi,
I did mine as well. Quite painless. There was one bearing i could not get to, and in reality only the seals had failed so I replaced all the seals, all but one bearing, the spring on the motor shaft and repacked the whole mechanism with grease.

Some big hex keys were about the only tool. Make sure you mark the motor cables. Mine were reversed and doing the service let me put them the right way.

I took a bunch of photos i am happy to share if people need then.

tday01

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2020, 03:06:25 PM »
I did this service earlier this year with some help from Jeff. It was relatively straightforward. I also got the casing powder-coated while it was apart.

I would definitely remove the gearbox to replace any bearings or seals. There were was one race that wouldn't come out even after putting it in the oven, and one bearing that wouldn't come off the shaft. I took it to a local machine shop. He removed the race by "tickling" it with an arc welder. He removed the bearing with a cold chisel and hammer(which wouldn't have had the nerve to to). Paid him a six-pack. After that, it was very straightforward. The parts are so inexpensive I replaced all bar one bearing.

DM if you have any questions.

Tony

jt11791

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2020, 11:09:00 PM »
Not winch grease, no, I used waterproof axle bearing grease commonly used on boat trailer wheels.  You want a heavy, sticky grease that will stay on the bearings and gears.  The bearings should be packed using a packing tool to completely fill them with grease, again just like a wheel bearing.

-Jeff
S/V Renegade  H54-19

Hermitage

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2020, 06:32:09 AM »
Thanks JT for your advice.

One more question in preparation, did you regrease it with normal winch grease?

jt11791

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2020, 11:04:32 PM »
It might be possible to change the horizontal shaft seal with the gearbox in place, but I don't recommend trying.  The box is not hard to remove (I managed by myself) and working on it will be much easier off the mast.  The seal is inserted from the inside, so you will need to remove the horizontal shaft/worm gear.  While you have the box off, replace the seal on the vertical shaft as well.  It's this seal that lets water in when it fails, so might as well replace it.

Good luck!

Jeff Taylor
S/V Renegade
S/V Renegade  H54-19

Hermitage

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2020, 10:43:55 PM »
I am looking to do this service as well as we have grease coming out around where the winch handle fitting goes in.

Is it possible and recommended to change the grease seal without removing the gearbox from the mast? Is it a one or two person job?

Ripple

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 01:15:01 PM »
Without having the manual in front of me, I recall a recommended service interval of 5 years. When we bought Capers, the boat was 11 years old and the drive did not run smoothly. Upon inspection, the bearings were in corroded pieces and looked like they had been buried in dirt for a century. So I’d say that 11 years is too long to go without servicing.

Jim, h46-53

svphoenixdawn

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2019, 05:47:06 AM »
What’s the recommended service frequency? Are there any “usual” symptoms indicating servicing? Less furl power, etc Thx! H-46/58

RobS

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2019, 01:59:10 AM »
A little bit of practical advice about that shaft:  When I bought our Hylas 49 I was advised to keep the end of that shaft, where the winch handle fits in, covered all the time with rigger's tape.  You can always peel that off if you need to use the winch handle, but otherwise a bit of tape is very handy to keep the sea water out of the bearings.

jt11791

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2019, 10:04:20 PM »
The oil seals fit around the outside of the shaft.  The central part of the shaft with the 8 point star for the winch handle does not have a seal.

Here's a link to the seal that I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C29YQWD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you open up your gearbox and find the bearings aren't damaged, I wouldn't replace them, just re-pack with grease.  They'll last forever if the sea doesn't get to them.

The short section of tube (foil) that connects the gearbox to the luff foil looks so substantial to me that I can't imagine it ever breaking.  I suspect that the post here about one breaking was a different furler than what I have.  I'd carry a spare electric motor or another fifth of rum before bothering with a spare for mine.
S/V Renegade  H54-19

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below