Author Topic: Selden Mainsail furler servicing  (Read 3585 times)

Ripple

Re: Selden Mainsail furler servicing
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 01:15:01 PM »
Without having the manual in front of me, I recall a recommended service interval of 5 years. When we bought Capers, the boat was 11 years old and the drive did not run smoothly. Upon inspection, the bearings were in corroded pieces and looked like they had been buried in dirt for a century. So I’d say that 11 years is too long to go without servicing.

Jim, h46-53

svphoenixdawn

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2019, 05:47:06 AM »
What’s the recommended service frequency? Are there any “usual” symptoms indicating servicing? Less furl power, etc Thx! H-46/58

RobS

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2019, 01:59:10 AM »
A little bit of practical advice about that shaft:  When I bought our Hylas 49 I was advised to keep the end of that shaft, where the winch handle fits in, covered all the time with rigger's tape.  You can always peel that off if you need to use the winch handle, but otherwise a bit of tape is very handy to keep the sea water out of the bearings.

jt11791

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2019, 10:04:20 PM »
The oil seals fit around the outside of the shaft.  The central part of the shaft with the 8 point star for the winch handle does not have a seal.

Here's a link to the seal that I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C29YQWD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you open up your gearbox and find the bearings aren't damaged, I wouldn't replace them, just re-pack with grease.  They'll last forever if the sea doesn't get to them.

The short section of tube (foil) that connects the gearbox to the luff foil looks so substantial to me that I can't imagine it ever breaking.  I suspect that the post here about one breaking was a different furler than what I have.  I'd carry a spare electric motor or another fifth of rum before bothering with a spare for mine.

Windswept

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 03:21:58 AM »
Very nice JT.... great detailed write up! Looks by your description...not so difficult which is a good thing. Certainly on my to do list. One thing #5 You mention....(the short section of foil) I am wondering if this is (which I will have to go back and find within this forum) the section, that is the weak link.... and inturn should be carring a spare if circumnavigating?

Your descripton... Brown goo (water? grease? oil?) leaking from where the handle to furl manually attaches. Is exactly what is happening here....but, no bearing issue. Needless to say, once I crack this project (prolly late summer) I will change out the bearings as well.

Q. At the crank handle, insert point.... is this a seal? If so, where did you get it? Thanks Don

jt11791

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2019, 05:27:55 AM »
My unit came off the mast easily because whoever installed it used lots of Tef Gel (thank God!).

To remove the gearbox from the mast:
1) Remove the four cap screws from the port side of the gearbox and pull the side cover with the electric motor out being careful not to lose the spring and shaft key that will come out with the drive shaft.
2) Disconnect the DC leads from the motor and set the cover/motor aside.
3) The gearbox is held to the mast with four torx head bolts.  These have captive nuts behind them, so don't worry about dropping the nuts down inside the mast, they will stay put. 
4) With the torx bolts removed, the gearbox will come free from the mast enough to allow you to disconnect the electric cable conduit.  Disconnect the conduit and pull the cables from the gearbox.
5) There is a universal on top of the gearbox which drives the luff foil via a short section of foil.  These pieces all just slide together, so once the  electric cable and conduit are removed, the gearbox should slide free.  The universal will come with the gearbox, along with the short foil section, which is loose so don't drop it.  The luff foil will stay in the mast.

I did check the brushes in my electric motor and found they were fine, nothing needed there.  The furler motor doesn't run for long periods of time, so the brushes are likely to last a very long time.

Symptoms that caused me to open this can of worms:
Brown goo (water? grease? oil?) leaking from where the handle to furl manually attaches.
Stickiness and occasional jams that required manual cranking to clear.
Loud sounds from what I now know to be failed bearings.

When I first tested my rebuilt gearbox I thought it wasn't working because it was so quiet!  From the time I purchased the boat the furler had always been loud.  I thought that was normal, what did I know?  Now it's silent.   ;D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 01:32:57 PM by jt11791 »

Windswept

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 04:03:36 AM »
Nice job and info jt....I see this project in my future. Q. Was removing the unit off the mast difficult? Also, did you install new brushes in the motor? Thanks Don/Windswept 46 #028

jt11791

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 09:20:50 PM »
I just rebuilt the mainsail furler gearbox on my 54.  The shaft seals had failed allowing water intrusion and bearing destruction.   I removed the gearbox with electric motor from the mast and completely disassembled it at home.  New tapered roller bearing and shaft seals went in and now it is all back together.  Total cost was about $150 for the parts, which are widely available standard industrial parts.  All you  need is the part number or sizes which are:

Timken (or cheaper knockoffs) Tapered roller bearings #32007X  (four required)
Shaft oil seals 32mm x 47mm x 7mm  (three required)

It's not a difficult job if you are mechanically inclined.  Please feel free to contact me if you need more details on the procedure.

tulsag

• Hylas 54 #33 TARA
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 03:18:51 AM »
Crossing the Atlantic from Bermuda to the Azores in 2014 in our Hylas '54 the in-mast furler started working intermittently and then it failed completely 10 days later after lots of use.  The tech in the Azores removed the motor in about an hour.  On the deck, he opened the motor housing and we could clearly see 2 of the 3 'brushes' (magnets) were in chunks and disintegrating into powder.  Being in the Azores, we could not wait for new magnets so he cut new ones to match the existing one and installed them in the motor that day.  Motor was STRONGER THAN EVER instantly.  It's been 5 years and the simple fix is still working like new.  I contacted Selden about buying a set of spare magnets but they said they only do complete refits (see others comments about the cost of that option) and don't sell 'brushes' alone.  Replacing the magnets in the Azores cost approximately $400.  I'd try that if your in-mast furler is acting up.

Mark Powell
s/v TARA
Hylas '54
Mark Powell
Hylas 54  hull#33  TARA

Caregg

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 01:40:26 AM »
A few years ago I had the main in the mast electrical sail furler on my year 2000 Hylas 46 #31 serviced with a new motor (Selden, 532-422 Electric Motor 12V $940.80); new belt; repainted; cleaned and lubricated for a total of $1914.42 by M Yachts Services in Annapolis, MD.  The mast was not removed in the process.  I'm pretty sure I saw something on the web somewhere that talked about how to remove the furler without removing the mast.

The work was done over the winter when the boat was stored a Bert Jabin's yard.  Miles Poor of MRP Yacht Management services organized and oversaw the process when I was on the west coast. 
The problem I was having was that every so often the furler would stop working.  If I manually turned it a bit it would work again for a while.  Since then I have not had any problems.  I've even furled a couple of times in winds over 45 knots.  If I thought I'd have a chance to go cruising I'd buy the Fortesea furler for a spare.
Tim Fitzmaurice
s/v Caregg Hylas 46 #31

FORTESEA

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 09:38:55 PM »
I have Selden Mainsail furler motor for sale.
This motor is from Hylas46  and was use in Lake Michigan for 3 Seasons ( total 18 months) was brand new in 2001.
In 2003 I lost the mast and the new mast came with the motor  inside.

Moonlight

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 03:37:46 PM »
Wow!  I guess I better take care of that motor.  I have the old style also and don't know if it's ever been in for servicing.  I might have to take a peek inside before I send it. 

Jack
Moonlight
49 #31
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 05:13:14 PM by Moonlight »

steve herlong

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 08:06:07 PM »
My invoice for a total and complete rebuild of my older style unit cost me $3,200.
Steve

christy

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 05:44:29 PM »
Not sure what they charge for a service but when I bought Christy the main furler motor was not working, checked everything and deduced it was the motor ... Sent back to selden for repair and was advised beyond repair .. New motor was £ 6,500.00 (USD $ 10,000.00) for a new motor .. Ouch !

Will be getting the new motor serviced when recommended ...

Tony
s/v Christy
Hylas 44 #56

Moonlight

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 05:35:18 PM »
What does Selden charge for reconditioning a main furler?  I can't imagine there's much in there.  Motor brushes,  bearings or bushings and clean and grease gears. 

Jack Price
Moonlight 49

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below