Author Topic: Cockpit Line Pass-through repair H46  (Read 189 times)

Nirvana

• Nirvana - H46 #13
Re: Cockpit Line Pass-through repair H46
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 02:53:04 PM »
Thanks Jim, that is thick stuff for sure.  I
Ken Sabatini
Nirvana - ‘97 Hylas 46 #13

Ripple

Re: Cockpit Line Pass-through repair H46
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 02:33:40 PM »
 I replaced ours with sheet rubber, the stuff used as a roofing material, about 5 years ago. Just cut holes big enough to allow the lines to pass through. Has held up well in tropical environment so far.

Jim
H46-53

Nirvana

• Nirvana - H46 #13
Cockpit Line Pass-through repair H46
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 10:11:05 PM »
Hi all, hope this finds you well and warm!

Some have called these 'fire hoses' into the cockpit.  I do not know to technical name for them.

As seen in the attached photos the prior owner installed what appears to be a rubberized fabric backed by duct-tape and carpet edging!!!  I know right?  Well it did work for awhile but has been steadily degrading and now we're getting a bit wet in here when the seas get rough, not to mention its lack of appeal.

So I'm looking for ideas and/or solutions you may have come up with.

I have now removed the SS Frames and found mountains of multiple layers of sealants of various types in addition to the aforementioned duct-tape, rubber and aluminum carpet edging.

I have contemplated replacing with (of all things) heavy-duty shower pan liner which is very thick and very tough neoprene.  This would still require some structural back plate to keep it from just tearing out on a big wave over the bow.  I would be donig a bit of a more graceful job on the install I should think.  :)

It would also mean I'd have to have some rolled edge for the lines to pass over as to not chafe them or the membrane.

Open to thoughts, concepts and/or solutions.

Ken
Ken Sabatini
Nirvana - ‘97 Hylas 46 #13

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below