Author Topic: AIS Installation  (Read 249 times)

burtpreston

Re: AIS Installation
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 02:44:53 PM »
We went with the original Casper Marine unit and after nine years are still very happy with it. The best feature, which may now be available on competing units, is the ability to set up four scenarios (offshore, coastal, harbor, and one other) and set up different filters in each (boat speed, CPA, time to CPA, etc) so that you can controll the clutter on the screen. Offshore you want to see everything but entering a harbor you need to remove irrelevant information, such as all boats moving less than say 0.3 knots. This is becoming more important as more and more objects are showing up.

One option that would be handy is the ability to block out the navigation buoys that have been assigned virtual AIS signals. When entering a big harbor it is a nuisance to have every navigation bouy showing up on your screen.

Also, Casper has provided me with excellent customer service, even replacing the faded sun cover after many years for free.

Burt Preston
Exuberant H44-83

tday01

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 01:21:31 PM »
I am a big fan of the XB-8000. I installed one on my last two boats. It integrated well with my Raymarine electronics and also provided wi-fi multiplexor capabilities (i.e. I could read all my instruments on an iPad passed through by the XB-8000.

joel

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 04:25:12 PM »
I added a splitter and Sitek unit because I wanted 0183, USB and NMEA 2000.  Works great!  No reason to replace a good radio.

Ganesha

AIS Installation
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 03:42:53 PM »
Planning on installing AIS but not sure to go with VHF Radio with AIS integrated or Vesper Marine XB-8000. Any suggestions? My current VHF with DSC radio works fine.

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below