Author Topic: Air Conditioning & Heater BTU Requirements - Actual Exeriences?  (Read 72 times)

SeaGlub

• Adventures of SeaGlub and the Hesitant Half
Re: Air Conditioning & Heater BTU Requirements - Actual Exeriences?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 07:09:51 AM »

Here's my 2 cents: The dometic AC and Heat units work great.  Fortunately for me the ducting was already in place. To me that would be THEE most difficult part if it wasn't already ducted. The actual vents would've required some woodwork and the ducts themselves are about 6-8" wide on the outside after accounting for the insulation (4-6" inside diameter) so that's a lot of space to find under floors, behind cabinets and through bulkheads. For the pump(s) you're gonna need access to a thru hull or two (think the recommendation is no more than 2 units per pump) and they have to be continuous downhill run from the thru hull to the pump, then continuous uphill from the pump to the AC unit. You will also need access to 110v electrical. For me I just used the washing machine breaker already installed on SeaGlub, cut those wires (bc I never plan on having a washing machine) and ran longer wires to my air conditioning brain. 53k BTU sounds like a ridiculously high amount. If you had one 16k unit for each area of the boat (forward, main salon, and aft) that would be way more than enough. I have one 16k and that thing blows cold air like crazy and cools the main salon, galley and aft stateroom in about 3 minutes after turning it on. For efficiency, I close off the forward stateroom. But even when I've had guests and opened the entire boat, the one 16k unit is still more than enough (I just have to redirect some of the air flow with a small DC powered fan). Lance and Pam on Shamaya (49') recently replaced AC units. May ask them directly on FB (search Shamaya). My unit sits under the bench around the table in main salon which is only 24" run to the already built in vent. And there was already a vent screen for air access in that area where the unit is installed. Call me if you want to discuss in more detail.
C&M
SeaGlub H46 #22

wurzner

Air Conditioning & Heater BTU Requirements - Actual Exeriences?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 06:33:06 PM »
I definitely will be adding a new heater and/or a reverse cycle system for heat and A/C.  I would like to know what you are using and if it is working for the environment you are in. The calculations say ~53k BTU's for my 51.  I know this most likely double what I would need, hence querying the group. Anyone in the tropics have details to provide along with boat type?  Cheers, Shaun

If you wish to help keep the HYOA running, please click the donation button below